In this lesson, I talk IELTS Writing Task 2 Band 7+ scoring. In other words, I examine exactly what your essay needs to do to get a high writing score.
Watch the video lesson or take a look at the text version below.
IELTS Writing Task 2 Scoring: Band Descriptors
Take a look at the IELTS Writing Task 2 Band Descriptors.
Here’s the explanation. Your score is the average of 4 categories:
- Task Response
- Cohesion and Coherence
- Lexical Resource
- Grammatical Range and Accuracy
(7 + 7 + 6 + 6)/4 = 6.5
Knowing what you need to do for a high score in each category can help you to focus on your weaknesses and improve your strengths.
Knowing these Band Descriptors can also help you to write in a style that will give the examiners what they want, and help you to finish faster.
Next we have a checklist that will help your get an IELTS Writing Task 2 Band 7+ score.
Band 7+ Task Response Checklist
- Do you “address all parts of the task”? (Answer all parts of the question)
- Do you cover each part of the task fully?
- Do you have a well-developed response to the question?
- Are all of your ideas relevant, extended (complete), and supported?
- Is your position and your conclusion clear?
Being clear is the most important part!
Band 7+ Coherence and Cohesion Checklist
- Do you use paragraphing correctly?
- One central idea per paragraph
- Paragraphs marked clearly
- Are your ideas and information in a logical order?
- Is there an obvious connection between each of your paragraphs?
- Is there an obvious connection between each of your sentences?
- Do you use a range of cohesive devices (without overusing them)?
- Linking words (However…., Nonetheless…., In addition, etc.)
- Referencing (“this”, “that”)
IELTS Master Advice: Leave a blank line between paragraphs. Being clear is #1.
Band 7+ Lexical Resource Checklist
- Do you use a wide range of vocabulary for the topic?
- Can you paraphrase effectively?
- Do you use collocations correctly often?
- Can you choose correct words most of the time?
- Can you use some less common words?
- Do you only have occasional/rare errors in spelling/word formation?
IELTS Master Advice: Focus on topical language, not fancy words. Being clear is #1.
Band 7+ Grammatical Range and Accuracy
- Do you have a wide range of grammatical structures you can use?
- Are most of your sentences accurate?
- Is almost all of your punctuation accurate?
- Can you use both simple and complex structures effectively?
IELTS Master Advice: Focus on accuracy, not range. Being clear is #1.
IELTS Writing Task 2 Band 7+ Action Step
- Take a look through the band descriptors.
- Look at one of your pieces of writing
- Where do you think you are right now?
- What do you need to do to get to the next level?
- What can you do to get there?
- If this is difficult for you to do on your own, get a writing correction from an IELTS expert.